Bittersweet win for trainer DaCosta

first_imgThe 21st running of the Lady Geeta Trophy grade one feature over 1200 metres provided a bittersweet experience for champion trainer Wayne DaCosta, who, despite winning with 7-2 chance PERFECT NEIGHBOUR, said he was shocked when stable-companion and 3-5 favourite POKER STAR decked jockey Robert Halledeen at the start.”It was nerve-racking”, recalled the 15-champion trainer. “Although my other horse, Perfect Neighbour, made up for the disappointment by scoring a narrow win, what was more important was that neither Poker Star nor the jockey was injured,” he added.Bidding for his sixth consecutive win, POKER STAR pitched from the outside post position (No. 6) on leaving the gates and dislodged Halledeen, much to the horror of racing fans who had installed the reigning champion sprinter a howling favourite to win his third trophy event from as many races this season.PERFECT NEIGHBOUR, ridden by four-time champion jockey Omar Walker for co-owners Alfred Lee and Jeffery Mordecai, broke well to chase the tearaway leader UPPA TUNE (5-2) with apprentice Bebeto Harvey into the straight, closing strongly in the last 100 metres to overhaul the consistent US-bred horse, winning by three-quarter length. The 2014 sprint champion POTCHEEN, highly fancied at 5-2, finished third after failing to go the early pace.Winner of the derby and St. Leger as a three-year-old in 2013 and voted the champion stayer of 2015, PERFECT NEIGHBOUR has now won 15 races from 36 starts lifetime with total stakes of just over $21 million. The 6-y-o horse, by Natural Selection out of Desperatehousewife, was bred by Y.S. (1955) Limited.The season’s first classics, the Post to Post 1000 and 2000 Guineas over 1600 metres, will both be run this Saturday, April 9.last_img read more

Show us consistency – Browne

first_imgBRIDGETOWN, Barbados, (CMC):Chairman of Selectors Courtney Browne has urged regional players to make their mark in the upcoming Regional Super50 in order to force their way into the West Indies squad.He said West Indies were expected to have a heavy One-Day International (ODI) schedule this year, and with preparations already in train for the 2019 World Cup, it was crucial players that took advantage of every opportunity in the January 24 to February 18 tournament.”We’re definitely looking forward to the Super50 to see that the incumbents go on and continue their good work,” the former Test wicketkeeper told Massy United Insurance Line and Length.”Then there are a lot of other young players who are challenging for places and we have a lot of ODI cricket coming up this year, so it is important – obviously we’re building them up towards the World Cup – that all the players come in and get their runs, get their wickets, play tough and hard cricket and really show us they have the attitude, not only to be part of the team, but the attitude that we are looking for that makes West Indian people really proud.”Browne emphasised, however, that while it was important players performed, they needed to show consistency beyond the tournament.PERFORM CONSISTENTLY”People just need to perform. That’s the most important [thing], and perform consistently,” said Browne, who replaced legendary former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd in the position last year.”What we are trying to do is look at players over at least three seasons. One of the things that we are trying not to do is to pick players after just one season.”At times that will happen, but if you can get a guy performing over three years consistently or over two years consistently, then we know he’s deserving of an opportunity at the senior level, or at least be considered for an opportunity at the senior level.”Browne noted that the Windies one-day side was at a young stage of their development, and singled out the unit which recently campaigned in the Tri-Nations Series in Zimbabwe.He said the young players, who had made their mark on that tour, needed to reiterate that form in the Regional Super50.Trinidad and Tobago Red Force are defending Regional Super50 champions and will do battle in Zone A alongside Leeward Islands Hurricanes, Windward Islands Volcanoes, West Indies Under-19s and English county side, Kent Spitfires.Zone B comprises last year’s runners-up Barbados Pride, Jamaica Scorpions, Guyana Jaguars, Combined Campuses & Colleges Marooners and ICC Americas team.Players must make themselves available for the tournament in order to be eligible for selection to the ODI format.last_img read more

Huskies move to 4-0 with win over Vipers

first_imgLeading the way for the Huskies on the scoresheet was first year Husky Lien Miller-Jeannotte as the rookie tallied a goal along with three helpers on the evening. He says it was simply one of those games as he didn’t make any adjustments to the way he approaches every contest.“I didn’t change anything today that I did before; it was just going right for me today,” he admits. “It was was a super fun game; everything was kind of going in. [I’m] just getting into good habits and doing good things and the puck starts to go in the net for you.”Two years ago, Miller-Jeannotte was competing in his first year of midget with the Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Academy before moving onto the Cariboo Cougars last year, then winding up with the Huskies for this season. He did all of his damage in the second period as he was in on four of the five goals in the frame. He says the team has been very welcoming to him and that has contributed to a great time at the rink.- Advertisement -“They’ve been awesome. Todd [Alexander] is an unreal guy, and a great coach. He knows his stuff. All the guys have taken me in and so far its been an awesome experience.” he says.Alexander was happy with the work of his rookie second line forward, saying he did a good job of staying with the play and making things happen when the puck came his way.“I think Lien is starting to come into his own. He’s a rookie here so he’s starting to feel his way into the league a little bit,” he explains. “He did a lot better job of driving the lanes wide tonight, getting the puck deep, and creating opportunities by moving his feet, so he’s starting to come around and get a little more comfortable playing against older players.”Advertisement Next for the Huskies it will be a battle of the unbeaten tomorrow at North Peace Arena as the Grande Prairie JDA Kings come to the Energetic City. Faceoff for that tilt is slated for 8 p.m., while the next broadcast on Moose FM will come next Friday as Fort St. John makes another trip to Sexsmith to skate with the Vipers. As for the game as a whole the Huskies didn’t get off to a great start, however, they were able to settle things down with setting up plays as the game progressed. Alexander concedes that the start and finish of the game wasn’t the greatest, but was very happy with the work done on the powerplay.“I think we started out a little bit slow. Our puck control was really good tonight, and our passing was point on, but we were swinging a lot tonight and our stops and starts weren’t quite there,” he says. “We let them back into the game a little bit in the third period with some undisciplined play. I think that the powerplay has been good all year. Tonight we were definitely rewarded and it looked really sharp.Scoring in order for the Huskies tonight were Brighton Campbell, Lien Miller-Jeannotte, Brighton Campbell, Shane Rutherford, Shawn Holiday, Brighton Campbell for a hat trick, and Shane Rutherford.The assists went to Lien Miller Jeannotte with three, Jordan Harder also had three, Daylen Pearson chipped in with two, John Apsassin, Sean Ryder, Owen Barker, Cayle Bell, and Blair Karasiuk.Advertisementlast_img read more

City launches new app to augment experience of Fish Creek trails

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The City of Fort St. John has launched a new mobile app for residents to download that will augment the experience of getting outside and using the Fish Creek Community Forest trails.The City’s Recreation Programmer Ryan Harvey says that the new Agents of Discovery is a free augmented reality app that is available on the Apple App Store and Google. The app uses no data, and has a number of challenges that users can attempt while in the Fish Creek forest. Harvey says that there are currently ten challenges in the app, with more challenges set to be added in the upcoming weeks and months.Harvey says that the app is geared to residents of all ages, not just for kids. The app was released on June 30th, and has already received a positive reception. For more information, check out the City’s Recreation Facebook page.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Airbus will allow giant A380 to descend upon Los Angeles’ airport after all

first_imgAirbus, one of the world’s largest airplane manufacturers, has had an apparent change of heart, announcing its giant A380 will stop in Los Angeles next month after all. The super-jumbo jet with a double-decked cabin and wingspan almost as long as a football field is set to touch down March 19 at Los Angeles International Airport as one of the aircraft’s first visits to the United States, city and Airbus officials said. Tuesday’s announcement comes less than two weeks after news that the super-jumbo jet capable of accommodating more than 500 passengers would bypass LAX for New York City, Chicago and Washington, D.C. One Los Angeles World Airport official called the sudden change “a slap at Los Angeles International Airport and the city of Los Angeles.” Alan Rothenberg, president of the airport commission, described the decision as a “stunning about-face” in a letter to Airbus’ chief executive officer in France. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! But officials had a different attitude Tuesday. “Being part of the A380’s inaugural visit to the U.S. is a clear indication that Los Angeles is a leading international gateway and that our airport is a world-class facility,” Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said in a statement. andrea.sudano@dailybreeze.com (310) 543-6111 last_img read more

KPL to make stand on play-off Thursday

first_imgBut FKF on their side insists that following the expansion of the top tier, a play-off is necessary after the automatic relegation of the bottom two teams.“The Joint Executive Committee has been in discussion with FKF and we have an executive meeting tomorrow from where our stand will be communicated,” KPL head of logistics and operations Frank Okoth told Capital Sport.FKF boss Nick Mwendwa speaking a fortnight ago reiterated the federation’s stand on the play-off despite KPL’s apparent opposition to it, insisting the league managers will have to dance to their tune.PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluFKF have already set the dates of the home and away play-off with the first leg set to be played on December 2 and the return leg four days later.“That has been our stand and we will do a draw on Wednesday to determine who starts at home. We have made communications to both Thika and Ushuru and copied the same to KPL as well. So, every party is aware,” FKF’s Communication Director Barry Otieno said.FKF boss Nick Mwendwa speaking a fortnight ago reiterated the federation’s stand on the play-off despite KPL’s apparent opposition to it, insisting the league managers will have to dance to their tune.Thika finished the season at 16th placed after a tough season, beating Bandari 1-0 on the final day of the season to edge out Western Stima by a slim goal difference with the powermen finishing in the second of the two automatic relegation slots despite also a final day win.From the NSL, Vihiga United and University of Nairobi side Wazito earned automatic promotion while former KPL side Ushuru finished third, two points behind the top two who finished each with 80 points.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000“Kenyan Premier League CEO Jack Oguda and chairman Ambrose Rachier in a past event. PHOTO/FileNAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 29- The Kenyan Premier League (KPL) will make its final stand on the relegation and promotion play-off scheduled between Thika United and National Super League (NSL) third finishers Ushuru FC after a Governing Council meeting on Thursday.KPL were yet to agree on Football Kenya Federation’s (FKF) directive of a promotion and relegation play off between the third placed team from the NSL and the 16th placed team from KPL, insisting they will stick to the 2015 agreement of automatically relegating two teams and promoting a similar number.last_img read more

Ward-Prowse expects big things from Southampton new boy

first_img1 Filip Djuricic in action for Southampton Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse is expecting big things from the club’s January signing Filip Djuricic.The midfielder was bought from Benfica in the final hours of the winter window but he was actually playing his football on loan at Mainz 05 when the deal was done.The Serbian was not playing much football at either of his previous clubs but has hit the ground running at St Mary’s with a sub appearance and a start against Liverpool on Sunday.“He had shown throughout the week that he has good quality on the ball,” Ward-Prowse said. “He works hard as well and is enthusiastic.“He wants to get on the ball. I think it’s promising, it was his first Premier League start and he did very well and I am sure there will be plenty more from him.”last_img read more

Video: FA Cup semi-final draw LIVE!

first_imgThe draw for the FA Cup semi-finals will take place at 9:45pm on Monday evening, following Manchester United’s clash with Arsenal.You can watch the draw right here…last_img

Dana Delany tells about “Desperate Housewives” role

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! If you’ve been watching “Desperate Housewives” this season, then you already know that the first two episodes of the season revealed a new world order on Wisteria Lane. Katherine Mayfair, played by two-time Emmy winner Dana Delany, has moved in. The steely Katherine is going toe-to-toe with domestic diva Bree Van De Kamp (Marcia Cross) for pie-baking supremacy and next week, confronts Gabby (Eva Longoria) with a few zingers. “Can you imagine fighting over a pie?” Delany says, laughing. “It felt very natural going on the show. There’s a lot of layers to Katherine. There’s a lot going on there. It’s fun, it’s so fun for me to be able to do both the comedy and the drama and mix it up. I actually I started in comedy but nobody knows that. When I did `China Beach,’ people took me so seriously so it was hard to get away from that image.”last_img

Man United vice-chairman ‘proud’ of staff and supporters’ conduct

first_img1 Manchester United vice-chairman Ed Woodward Manchester United have reported the fake bomb which led to the abandonment of Sunday’s game at Old Trafford could not have been detected by a routine sniffer dog search.The device, accidentally left in stadium toilets by a private security firm, had also been reported as recovered following a training exercise.The points were two made by United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward in a fresh statement into the security alert which led to the 75,000-capacity stadium being evacuated and a controlled explosion carried out.Woodward said: “The safety of the fans is our number one aim at every event we host at Old Trafford. Overall, I’m proud of how our staff responded. The facts are:“On the discovery of a suspect package, the police and the club worked quickly and closely to identify the threat, make people safe and evacuate the ground calmly and efficiently.“Fans of both clubs behaved impeccably and the evacuation – the first of its type in the UK – was a complete success.“Following investigation, the device proved to have been left in error following the training of dog handlers by a sub contractor.“The contractor had signed the device as having been recovered along with the 13 other devices at the end of the exercise. “That device could not have been detected by sniffer dogs on the routine matchday search of the 100 Club, as it contained no explosives and was used in an exercise training handlers not dogs.”The dummy bomb was initially described as an “incredibly lifelike explosive device” after it was discovered in toilets at the stadium shortly before the scheduled 3pm kick-off of United’s clash with Bournemouth.An evacuation began at 2.40pm with the item being destroyed by bomb disposal experts from the Army at 4.30pm. It was later revealed the device had been used in a training exercise last week.Woodward promised the matter would be investigated but has praised those involved in what proved a highly efficient evacuation.He said: “Once a live situation was identified, the club and police had no option but to treat the matter as a potential terror threat; we could not have assumed it was a training exercise error. Presented with the same situation in the future, we would take the same action.“We have worked very closely with the police and counter terrorism specialists for many years now and enjoy their support on a daily basis.“We are conducting a detailed evaluation with the help of the police and will share our findings across the rest of the game. Valuable lessons will have been learned from yesterday’s events and it is important that those are shared with other stadium operators to ensure that the safety of the public remains the first duty of us all.”READ MORE: Manchester United MUST take responsibility for Old Trafford fake bomb ‘fiasco’, Police chief tells talkSPORTlast_img read more