San Diego congressional reps introduce bills to combat Tijuana River pollution

first_img KUSI Newsroom, San Diego congressional reps introduce bills to combat Tijuana River pollution Updated: 1:52 PM Posted: July 22, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A group of San Diego County’s congressional representatives introduced a package of bills Monday to address and mitigate pollution in the Tijuana River Valley.The bills unveiled by Reps. Juan Vargas, D-San Diego, Scott Peters, D- San Diego, and Mike Levin, D-Oceanside, would boost funding to clean up the river and prevent future water contamination while a resolution from Susan Davis, D-San Diego, would encourage the Department of the Navy to focus on pollution in the river as a national security issue.“Today, the San Diego delegation is proud to introduce a comprehensive bill package to support mitigation efforts in the Tijuana River Valley,” Vargas said. “Together, we are taking meaningful action towards reducing, and one day hopefully, eliminating cross-border pollution from flowing into the United States.”Vargas and Peters’ bill would expand infrastructure funding by $1.5 billion through the North American Development Bank, which would receive a mandate to prioritize projects based around water treatment and pollution. The bill would also establish a fund through which unallocated federal money could be used to protect water along the U.S.-Mexico border.Levin’s bill would also fund pollution mitigation and water conservation projects by increasing the Border Water Infrastructure Fund by $150 million per year through 2024. Funding would be split evenly between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Region 6, which includes Texas and New Mexico, and Region 9, which includes California and Arizona.“The greater San Diego region has battled pollution from the Tijuana River Valley for years, with sewage and garbage contaminating our waters and desecrating our beaches,” Levin said. “Concrete, substantive action to address this issue and protect our environment is long overdue.”Pollution in the Tijuana River has affected U.S. waterways for decades, forcing beaches in San Diego County to close for extended periods due to pollutants like raw sewage flowing from across the border. Local and state officials and environmental activists have long called for federal intervention to protect the health and safety of residents near the border.In April, San Diego’s congressional Democrats  jointly wrote a letter with Sens. Kamala Harris and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., to urge the directors of the State Department, Environmental Protection Agency, Customs and Border Protection, Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. section of the International Boundary and Water Commission to address sewage runoff in the river.In response to lethargic action to mitigate pollution in the river, the San Diego Surfrider Foundation and the city of San Diego field separate lawsuits last year against the IBWC, which oversees waterways that traverse the border, arguing that the commission has been negligent of the river’s harmful effects. The city jointly filed the suit with California Attorney General Xavier Becerra. center_img KUSI Newsroom July 22, 2019 Categories: California News, Local San Diego News, Politics FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Google Earth launches final Carmen Sandiego mystery game

first_img Share your voice Online Mobile Apps Gaming Mobile Digital Media CNET Apps Today Google Maps for Android Tags 1 Comment Review • The rebuilt Google Maps for Android is better than ever Carmen Sandiego is back, again.  Google Earth Paperstar, a dastardly VILE operative and master origami maker, is making trouble on Google Earth. The Keys to the Kremlin have been stolen from Russia. Your job: investigate the scene of the crime in Moscow, track down the criminals and recover the loot.The Keys to the Kremlin Caper is the third and final Carmen Sandiego game to come to Google Earth this year. In March, the ’90s star of children’s educational television first visited Google Earth with The Crown Jewels Caper. In May, the globetrotter returned with The Tutankhamun’s Mask Caper.Like in the previous two games, you’ll use the magnifying glass to interview witnesses in different cities and gather clues. When you think you’ve figured out the next step, click the airplane icon to fly to the next city. Google said that its focusing on new partnerships, but there’s a possibility that it will work with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt again. Gumshoes can find the previous Carmen Sandiego mysteries in the Games category on Google Earth. Google also said it’s working on more geography-based games.  Netflix released a Carmen Sandiego animated show earlier this year and is making a live-action Carmen Sandiego movie starring Gina Rodriguez, who also voices the character in the Netflix show.Originally published June 18.Update, June 19: Adds comment from Google. Googlelast_img read more

Abu Sayeeds motorcade attacked in Pabna

first_imgAbu Sayeed`s damaged vehicle at Shimultala near Santhia Bazar in Pabna on Thursday, 13 Dec, 2018. Photo: CourtesyThe motorcade of Jatiya Oikya Front candidate Abu Sayeed for Pabna-1 seat came under attack in Pabna’s Santhia Bazar on Thursday, leaving four people injured, reports UNB. Talking to UNB, Sayeed said a group of rowdy supporters of his electoral opponent attacked his motorcade around 11:00am when he was on an election campaign.He said the attackers damaged his vehicle badly and beat up his supporters, leaving Zakir Hossain, Monwar Parvez, Nazmul Hossain and Saiful Islam, injured.Sayeed said he himself suffered minor injuries as some brick chips were thrown at him.Sensing danger, the Oikya Front candidate moved to Santhia police station with his damaged vehicle.Later, he lodged a complaint with the office of assistant returning officer Jahangir Alam.Sayeed alleged that the attackers took away three motorbikes of his campaigners.Contacted, Bera circle assistant superintendent of police (ASP) Jehadul Rahman said they will take stern action against those who were involved in the attack on the candidate of ‘Sheaf of Paddy’.Abu Sayeed, a former Awami League state minister for information, joined Gano Forum, one of the components of BNP’s alliance Jatiya Oikya Front, on 26 November.The alliance nominated him for Pabna-1 constituency for contesting the 30 December national election with BNP’s electoral symbol ‘Sheaf of Paddy’.last_img

US Taliban talks very positive

first_imgTaliban walk as they celebrate ceasefire in Ghanikhel district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan on 16 June.A meeting between a senior US diplomat and Taliban representatives in Doha last week to discuss a possible ceasefire ended with “very positive signals” and a decision to hold more meetings, people with knowledge of the talks said on Sunday.The meeting between a delegation led by Alice Wells, deputy assistant secretary in the State Department’s Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs, and Taliban representatives was first reported in The Wall Street Journal but has not been officially confirmed.According to one Taliban official, who said he was part of a four-member delegation, there were “very positive signals” from the meeting, which he said was conducted in a “friendly atmosphere” in a Doha hotel.“You can’t call it peace talks,” he said. “These are a series of meetings for initiating formal and purposeful talks. We agreed to meet again soon and resolve the Afghan conflict through dialogue.”He said the talks had been held without the presence of Afghan government officials at the insistence of the Taliban.The move comes as the Afghan government and the United States have stepped up efforts to end the 17 year-war in Afghanistan following the unprecedented three-day truce during last month’s Eid al-Fitr holiday.The truce, which saw unarmed Taliban fighters mingling with soldiers on the streets of Kabul and other cities, offered the first concrete vision of a peace settlement since an earlier attempt at peace talks broke down in 2015.Although the Taliban refused an offer by President Ashraf Ghani to extend the Eid ceasefire, behind-the-scenes contacts have continued and the government has said it is considering another ceasefire during next month’s Eid-al Qurban holiday.As hopes of possible formal negotiations have risen, the United States has agreed to participate directly in the talks, although it insists the process will remain under Afghan leadership.The Taliban official said the talks took place with the approval of the leadership council. The two sides had discussed proposals to allow the Taliban free movement in two provinces where they would not be attacked, an idea that President Ashraf Ghani has already rejected. They also discussed Taliban participation in the Afghan government.“The only demand they made was to allow their military bases in Afghanistan,” said the Taliban official.The meeting in Doha, where the Taliban maintains a political office, followed two earlier meetings between U.S. officials and Taliban representatives in recent months, the sources said.“We have held three meetings with the U.S. and we reached a conclusion to continue talks for meaningful negotiations,” said a second Taliban official.He said they would first exchange prisoners and then discuss other issues that could restore peace to Afghanistan.“However, our delegation made it clear to them that peace can only be restored to Afghanistan when all foreign forces are withdrawn,” he said.Another person with knowledge of the talks said the United States had pressed the Taliban side to accept the ceasefire offer for Eid-ul Adha, often known in Afghanistan as Eid-al Qurban, which this year starts on Aug. 22.“So a long-term ceasefire is expected on Eid-ul Adha,” the person said. “Both sides agreed upon the continuation of the meetings and talks and another meeting is expected before Eid, but the exact time and place is not clear yet.”The State Department confirmed that Wells had visited Doha but has said only that she met United Arab Emirates government officials, including the deputy prime minister, to talk about their contributions to the situation in Afghanistan.Asked about talks with the Taliban, a State Department spokesman referred to a July 9 comment from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, that the United States would “support, facilitate, and participate in these peace discussions, but peace must be decided by the Afghans and settled among them.”Ghani’s main spokesman Haroon Chakansuri said last week that peace talks would be Afghan-led and would build on international consensus in support of peace.last_img read more