Governor Wolf Statement on Selection of Dr. Daniel Greenstein as PA State System of Higher Education Chancellor

first_img Education,  Press Release,  Statement Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf released the following statement after the Board of Governors of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education today selected Dr. Daniel Greenstein as the next chancellor beginning in September.“Dr. Daniel Greenstein brings more than 30 years of experience strengthening higher education and expanding opportunities for all students. I believe strongly that as chancellor of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education his knowledge and expertise will lead to a successful system redesign. Dr. Greenstein will focus the efforts of all involved in the state system on student success while creating a sustainable financial path forward for our 14 universities. Tens of thousands of students depend on the State System to get a quality and affordable education, so they can achieve the American dream. With Dr. Greenstein’s leadership, the State System will continue to build a talented and skilled workforce that attracts more businesses to invest and create jobs in Pennsylvania.” SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Governor Wolf Statement on Selection of Dr. Daniel Greenstein as PA State System of Higher Education Chancellorcenter_img May 21, 2018last_img read more

Bryce Harper injury update: Phillies star day-to-day after negative X-rays

first_imgKapler expressed the Phillies aren’t concerned about the 26-year-old slugger’s status and they are confident that he still will be ready for opening day. Kapler said Harper had “minimal swelling” in his right ankle Saturday and underwent a fluoro exam and X-ray testing after Friday’s game, which both came back negative.“It gave us confidence to come in this morning and know he’s feeling good and has minimal swelling and he’s cleared from an X-ray perspective,” Kapler said. “Certainly makes us feel more confident going forward.” Related News “We’re going to get him the reps that he needs to make sure that his rhythm and timing are where he needs to be,” Kapler said. “That’s going to be based on conversations that I have with Bryce and no concerns about opening day at this point.”Harper fell to the ground immediately after he was hit on his right ankle by a 96 mph fastball from Toronto right-hander Trent Thornton. He limped off the field to the clubhouse.Harper, who agreed to a 13-year, $330 million deal with the Phillies just over two weeks ago, is coming off a season where he slashed .249/.393/.496 with 34 home runs and 100 RBIs for the Nationals. Trent Thornton, pitcher who hit Bryce Harper, gets death threats on Twitter Bryce Harper is expected to miss at least one game as he recovers from a foot injury suffered in Friday’s spring training game against the Blue Jays. Manager Gabe Kapler revealed Saturday that the newly acquired Phillies star is considered day-to-day after X-rays came back negative, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Harper will not play Saturday against Houston as a precautionary measure, though there is a chance he could return Sunday to face the Yankees.last_img read more

Judge throws out €60K injury claim brought by woman after Donegal accident

first_imgA 35-year-old woman, described by a judge as “a serial litigant,” has lost a €60,000 damages claim for personal injury arising out of a road traffic accident in Letterkenny.Barrister Conor Kearney told the Circuit Civil Court that Margaret Stokes had failed to inform the court of previous accidents she had been involved. “Even worse she did not tell her doctors about them,” Mr Kearney told Judge James O’Donohoe.Judge Donohoe, dismissing her case and awarding costs against her, told Stokes, of Stratten Walk, Adamstown, Lucan, Co Dublin: “You are a serial litigant and you have sought to obtain money.”The judge told Mr Kearney, who appeared with Delahunty O’Connor solicitors, that consultant Robert McQuillan had used the word “elaboration” about Ms Stokes’s complaints.“Let’s call a spade a spade. I have no doubt that he means that she is laying it on,” Judge O’Donohoe said when dismissing her claim.Stokes had sued John Gray of Knoc Ard, Carnamuggagh, Letterkenny, and the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland.She claimed that on 12th May 2011 she was a passenger in a vehicle at Carnamuggagh when it was rear ended by Gray.She said she was shocked and dazed and jolted forward so that she banged her head on the passenger window.She had attended the A and E Department of Letterkenny General Hospital complaining of pain to her neck, low back and left shoulder. She had been diagnosed with soft tissue injuries and advised to rest and prescribed analgesia.Mr Kearney said Ms Stokes had failed to tell the court of previous accidents for which she had already obtained damages and one of which was ongoing.Counsel for Ms Stokes told the court the defendants had been informed of the accidents in a letter prior to her case coming before the court.Liability had been conceded in the case before the court today and the hearing had gone ahead to asses damages.Mr Kearney said that as the law stood, even if there was legitimate injuries, the judge, if satisfied that a plaintiff had sought to mislead the court in any material respect, “shall” dismiss the case.Dismissing the case Judge O’Donohoe said he was satisfied that Ms Stokes had not been forthcoming with the court about all of her previous accidents.Judge throws out €60K injury claim brought by woman after Donegal accident was last modified: July 29th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more