GPL linesman recovering from electric shock

first_imgDara Singh, 41, a linesman attached to the Guyana Power and Light (GPL), who suffered electric shock on Sunday last outside Demico House (opposite the Stabroek Square), where technicians were replacing some old power poles, has regained consciousness and is in a stable condition at the Burns Care Unit of the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC).According to Singh’s wife, Moreen Kattow-Singh, he received third degree burns to his chest, back, abdomen and hands.She noted that the father of four is currently in a semi-conscious state but is slowly recovering. Mrs Singh said on Sunday she received a call while at her Garden of Eden, East Bank Demerara home imploring her to go to the GPHC since her husband was involved in an accident.“When I reach to the hospital and I go and I see him, he was on the bed, unconscious, I couldn’t do anything. After a while, the doctor came and they told me they have to do a CT scan,” the woman explained.Her husband, who has been working with the power company for the past 12 years, was at the time of the incident holding wires, which suddenly became live with electricity, thus pelting him a few feet backwards. He reportedly landed on his back with the wires resting across his stomach.Singh’s colleagues were able to get the wires off his body, and he was rushed to the GPHC.The GPL team – about two dozen members – had started working sometime about 10:00h on the day of the incident to replace the poles that were beginning to rot.Power had been cut from the wires that were lying on the ground for some time prior to the incident. One crew member said it reportedly came into contact with another live wire, thus injuring Singh.Eyewitnesses on the scene had related that the men were working on two sets of posts on each side of Croal Street, Georgetown.“I stand by my car watching them men work. It had one man on the post and this man (Singh) was at the bottom…I don’t know where this current come [from], but the way it come – and he had the wire in he hand – it pitch he back, and he drop on the ground and buss he head all,” the eyewitness said.The eyewitness went on to relate, “The wire drop pon he stomach, and all you see he left stunning pon the ground. You know how long they tek fuh pull the wire [off]. A man had to run till at the middle [of Longden Street] to get something and come and pull off the wire off he. Then a bus man pull up and they throw the man in the bus and rush he to the hospital.”According to the taxi driver, the incident seems to have traumatised the crew members, particularly the one who was up on the pole at the time the incident occurred.However, a senior engineer attached to the power company told Guyana Times that at this time, they are uncertain as to what exactly transpired, since different versions of the incident are being related by the workers who were on the ground.He further noted that an investigation will be launched into the incident.last_img read more

Tottenham 1-2 Stoke: Potters make it look easy against Spurs

first_img Jon Walters scores for Stoke against Tottenham 1 Another home defeat, another woeful performance from Tottenham.Weeks after Newcastle left north London with all three points, Stoke City took a very poor Spurs side apart with ease as the Potters moved into ninth place following a 2-1 win at White Hart Lane.Bojan Krkic’s brilliant opener and a Jonathan Walters strike gave the visitors a 2-0 half-time lead, with Nacer Chadli pulling one back for the Lilywhites, who ended the game with ten men.Before kick-off home fans were in buoyant mood upon hearing striker Harry Kane would start his first Premier League game of the season and he came close to opening the scoring in the first few minutes of the game, but could not steer his header into the goal.It was not a sign of things to come, however, as Krkic broke minutes later and ran through the heart of the Spurs defence before placing the ball beyond Hugo Lloris from 20 yards out to put the visitors in front.Then 10 minutes before the break they doubled their lead and Walters will not have had an easier opportunity to score as he was inexplicably left on his own with just Lloris to beat.Stoke were rampant as Spurs appeared to surrender and if the players were in any doubt about how bad they were, boos were heard around the stadium from the White Hart Lane faithful at half-time.Off came Christian Eriksen and Andros Townsend and on came Erik Lamela and Mousa Dembele.And it was the former’s free-kick that led to Kane going close to pulling Spurs back into the game, but his header went just wide of Asmir Begovic’s post.An hour gone and it was at least an improvement on the first half.Stoke, though, continued to overrun Tottenham’s midfield and eventually the poor Etienne Capoue was replaced by Emmanuel Adebayor.As the game entered the final 15 minutes, a fantastic Begovic save kept Lamela’s free-kick out.But moments later Tottenham finally found a way through when Chadli volleyed Danny Rose’s cross in from close-range, almost ripping the net in the process.There was to be no repeat of the comeback against Aston Villa when, in the final 10 minutes, Kyle Naughton was shown a straight red card for wiping out Victor Moses and bringing the Stoke man’s surging run forward to an abrupt halt.When the full-time whistle went the fans who had decided to stay until the end in north London booed their team off again.last_img read more