WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Recreation Department has announced that Silver Lake is currently CLOSED for swimming due to a high bacteria count detected in this week’s water testing.“To minimize the risk of illness from contaminated water, beaches are required to be tested for “indicator” bacteria ― bacteria that indicate the presence of fecal contamination,” reads the announcement. “Silver Lake is tested for Enterococci or E. coli. We had an exceedance this week, therefore the Beach is closed for swimming until a re-sample tests clear.”This is the lake’s first closure of the season, and it comes at an inopportune time. The Wilmington Police Association’s Beach Day is scheduled for this Thursday, August 1, from 11am to 2pm, at Town Beach.“The Police Beach Day is STILL ON with games, activities, DJ and lunch, but no swimming,” Recreation Director Karen Campbell told Wilmington Apple. “The beach will be retested on Friday.”Silver Lake is tested every Tuesday during beach season. The Recreation Department received these results late on Wednesday afternoon.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related(GOOSE) POOP HAPPENS: Town Beach Has Successful Season Despite 16-Day Swimming Ban Due To High BacteriaIn “Government”VIDEO: Highlights From Wilmington Police Beach DayIn “Videos”UPDATE: Silver Lake Will Likely Be OK To Swim In Soon; Latest Tests Show ImprovementIn “Community”
Angela Lang/CNET Apple’s new lineup of iPhones didn’t have a happy holiday. And a rare sales forecast slash may bode poorly for the rest of the year.In a letter to investors on Wednesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook warned that the company’s fiscal first-quarter revenue would be weaker than previously expected. It now sees sales of $84 billion, well below the range of $89 billion to $94 billion that it forecast in November. Its gross margin is now expected to be approximately 38 percent, a tick below the range of 38 percent to 38.5 percent range it previously forecast, suggesting a shift to lower-priced, less profitable products.A warning from Apple, one of the most valuable and profitable companies in the world, is a rare occurrence that hasn’t happened in at least 15 years. The weaker holiday season — a critical period in which most of Apple’s iPhones are sold — will fan growing belief that the company is struggling with consumer fatigue for its popular smartphone and that sales may be on a downward slide. The company raised a red flag in November when it said it would stop disclosing how many units it sells each quarter. “iPhone units are likely down, and I believe prices on the more premium, higher-priced phones are down due to holiday discounting,” said Patrick Moorhead, an analyst at Moor Insights. The warning prompted concerns similar to those Apple endured more than a decade ago, when it missed its fiscal fourth-quarter numbers amid an economic downturn. Then-CEO Steve Jobs broke his practice of skipping analyst calls in order to quell investor fear, reiterating that Apple would be fine. (He was right.)That hasn’t stopped detractors from jumping on the warning. On Wednesday, law firm Bernstein Liebhard said it was investigating whether Apple mislead investors and committed securities fraud. An Apple spokesman wasn’t immediately available to comment on the law firm’s actions.Apple shares fell 7 percent to $147 in trading after the market close on Wednesday. On Thursday morning, shares fell another 9.5 percent to $142.88, before rebounding 1.6 percent to $144.52 in early Friday trading.Blame ChinaThis time, the economic downturn isn’t in the US. Cook blamed much of the shortfall on China, where the company underestimated a decelerating economy. The company saw a decline in sales of iPhones, Macs and iPads in the country.Cook cited macro factors like trade friction between the US and China, the world’s two biggest economies.”We believe the economic environment in China has been further impacted by rising trade tensions with the United States,” Cook said. See It $999 CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Apple Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? 7:35 See All Comments See It Apple iPhone XS What to expect from Apple in 2019 $999 Beyond demand in China, Cook also blamed a decrease in carrier subsidies, price increases in foreign markets caused by a strong US dollar and customers taking advantage of cheaper battery replacements. Cook pointed the finger as well at a slowing smartphone market, which has taken a toll on other big players, like Samsung. But Avi Greengart, an analyst at Global Data, says Apple’s not taking into account the rise of players like China’s Huawei, the second-largest phone maker in the world. Or Oppo, which owns the hot upstart player OnePlus. “Apple does have a strong franchise in China, but it is not immune from competition,” Greengart said.In an interview with CNBC, Cook said a host of new products introduced in the quarter contributed to the sales miss.”We had an unprecedented number of new products during the quarter. We had new watches, we had new iPad Pros,” Cook told the financial network. “Both of these were constrained for all or most of the quarter.”Still, he remains bullish.”We had sort of a collection of items going on.” Cook told CNBC. “Some that are macroeconomic and some that are Apple-specific. And we’re not going to sit around waiting for the macro to change — I hope that it does and I’m actually optimistic — but we’re going to focus really deeply on the things we can control.”Questions about demandApple was already facing questions about demand for its next lineup of iPhones. In the latter months of 2018, Apple introduced the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, which offered modest upgrades like a faster processor and, in the case of the Max, a big size increase. The other new product was the lower-priced iPhone XR, which came in different colors and cost less than the iPhone XS because of its cheaper components. Addressing concerns that the new iPhones weren’t selling well, Apple said the iPhone XR has been its top-selling iPhone since its launch, which came a month after that of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. But the iPhone XR sits in an awkward position. It doesn’t have the latest and greatest specs to satisfy the hardcore Apple fanboy, but at $750, it is still an expensive upgrade for consumers used to a baseline $650 for a new iPhone. In the meantime, Apple’s older iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 models remain available for consumers who don’t want to break the bank for a new smartphone. Apple has been shifting its strategy so it’s less reliant on the iPhone and generating more of its revenue from services like iTunes, the App Store and its upcoming streaming video service. “The services business will have a longer impact than hardware sales,” said Carolina Milanesi, an analyst at Creative Strategies.First published Jan. 2 at 1:42 p.m. PT. Update 1:57 p.m.: To include further detailsUpdate 2:14 p.m.: To include further details, stock market price and background.Update 2:55 p.m.: To include analyst comments.Update 3:10 p.m.: To include further comment from Tim Cook from a CNBC interview.Update 4:40 p.m.: To include more Tim Cook comments.Update Jan. 3 at 6:40 a.m.: To include a new stock quote and analyst comment.Update Jan. 4 at 6:42 a.m.: To include new stock quote and detail about law firm investigation. Apple: See what’s up with the tech giant as it releases new iPhones and more.Does the Mac still matter? Apple execs explain why the MacBook Pro was over four years in the making, and why we should care. Now playing: Watch this: Tags Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 See it Review • iPhone XS review, updated: A few luxury upgrades over the XR Boost Mobile $999 $999 See It Sep 1 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors Share your voice reading • Apple’s rare sales warning sparks iPhone fatigue fears • Mentioned Above Apple iPhone XS (64GB, space gray) Phones 77 Sprint Best Buy Preview • iPhone XS is the new $1,000 iPhone X Apple
Taliban walk as they celebrate ceasefire in Ghanikhel district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan on 16 June.A meeting between a senior US diplomat and Taliban representatives in Doha last week to discuss a possible ceasefire ended with “very positive signals” and a decision to hold more meetings, people with knowledge of the talks said on Sunday.The meeting between a delegation led by Alice Wells, deputy assistant secretary in the State Department’s Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs, and Taliban representatives was first reported in The Wall Street Journal but has not been officially confirmed.According to one Taliban official, who said he was part of a four-member delegation, there were “very positive signals” from the meeting, which he said was conducted in a “friendly atmosphere” in a Doha hotel.“You can’t call it peace talks,” he said. “These are a series of meetings for initiating formal and purposeful talks. We agreed to meet again soon and resolve the Afghan conflict through dialogue.”He said the talks had been held without the presence of Afghan government officials at the insistence of the Taliban.The move comes as the Afghan government and the United States have stepped up efforts to end the 17 year-war in Afghanistan following the unprecedented three-day truce during last month’s Eid al-Fitr holiday.The truce, which saw unarmed Taliban fighters mingling with soldiers on the streets of Kabul and other cities, offered the first concrete vision of a peace settlement since an earlier attempt at peace talks broke down in 2015.Although the Taliban refused an offer by President Ashraf Ghani to extend the Eid ceasefire, behind-the-scenes contacts have continued and the government has said it is considering another ceasefire during next month’s Eid-al Qurban holiday.As hopes of possible formal negotiations have risen, the United States has agreed to participate directly in the talks, although it insists the process will remain under Afghan leadership.The Taliban official said the talks took place with the approval of the leadership council. The two sides had discussed proposals to allow the Taliban free movement in two provinces where they would not be attacked, an idea that President Ashraf Ghani has already rejected. They also discussed Taliban participation in the Afghan government.“The only demand they made was to allow their military bases in Afghanistan,” said the Taliban official.The meeting in Doha, where the Taliban maintains a political office, followed two earlier meetings between U.S. officials and Taliban representatives in recent months, the sources said.“We have held three meetings with the U.S. and we reached a conclusion to continue talks for meaningful negotiations,” said a second Taliban official.He said they would first exchange prisoners and then discuss other issues that could restore peace to Afghanistan.“However, our delegation made it clear to them that peace can only be restored to Afghanistan when all foreign forces are withdrawn,” he said.Another person with knowledge of the talks said the United States had pressed the Taliban side to accept the ceasefire offer for Eid-ul Adha, often known in Afghanistan as Eid-al Qurban, which this year starts on Aug. 22.“So a long-term ceasefire is expected on Eid-ul Adha,” the person said. “Both sides agreed upon the continuation of the meetings and talks and another meeting is expected before Eid, but the exact time and place is not clear yet.”The State Department confirmed that Wells had visited Doha but has said only that she met United Arab Emirates government officials, including the deputy prime minister, to talk about their contributions to the situation in Afghanistan.Asked about talks with the Taliban, a State Department spokesman referred to a July 9 comment from Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, that the United States would “support, facilitate, and participate in these peace discussions, but peace must be decided by the Afghans and settled among them.”Ghani’s main spokesman Haroon Chakansuri said last week that peace talks would be Afghan-led and would build on international consensus in support of peace.
email@example.com Gregory Megginson, an intern with YouthWorks, looks on as Lisa Franklin surveys the lettuce crop.On a formerly vacant lot in the Sandtown-Winchester area of Baltimore City, a series of greenhouses have sprung up, growing over 10 types of lettuce and providing jobs to residents of an area more notable for its vacant housing stock than its green spaces.Part of a series of neighborhood revitalization projects developed by Newborn Holistic Ministries, the farm, known as Strength to Love, is helping to transform both the appearance of Sandtown-Winchester, and its residents.Strength to Love is located on a formerly overgrown lot on Lorman St., between N. Monroe St. and N. Fulton Ave. The site currently consists of six hoop farms, 150 foot long greenhouses where the lettuce is grown and harvested. An additional 10 hoop farms are in the process of being built, four on the north side of Lorman and six on the south.According to Lisa Franklin, Strength to Love’s site supervisor, each house goes through a germination cycle of four weeks, and harvesting is done weekly.“We rotate the houses so that we’re constantly getting produce, constantly being able to harvest,” explained Franklin.Of course, producing a crop is ultimately a means to an end.“This is a rehabilitation to reintegrate people who have been incarcerated back into society,” said Franklin of the farm that employs formerly incarcerated men and women, teaching them a skill and offering a second chance they seldom receive elsewhere. “That is Strength to Love’s mission.”Lettuce growing in one of Strength to Love’s six hoop farms in West Baltimore.Douglas Wheeler was living next door on N. Fulton Ave. when he noticed the greenhouses start going up two years ago. Wheeler, who at 18 served a one year prison sentence, was overcome by curiosity and began showing up to the farm, asking questions and learning about the process of growing lettuce, year round, in an urban environment.Wheeler is now employed on the farm, and says that growing lettuce and understanding what counts as an acceptable harvest has taught him to take pride in the product of his labor.“If I won’t eat it, I’m not letting nobody else eat it,” said Wheeler. “So if I take good care of it, I know it’s good and it makes me feel good to know that I’m helping people.”Maurice Owens is a deacon with Newborn Holistic Ministries and oversees the farm’s operations. Owens spoke to the various ways the farm is serving the local community.“It’s a very good project,” said Owens. “It enables [the workers] to have some work in the neighborhood, some fresh food, vegetables, for our community, as well as bringing some money into the church to maybe help some of those who might have misfortunes: gas and electric, rent, children are injured—the whole gamut of life.”Strength to Love’s harvest yields are mostly sold to Big City Farms, an urban farming company that sells produce to area vendors and also serves as a consultant to Strength to Love.The farm has become a point of civic pride, a place where local residents help out by volunteering to clean trash and debris from the site.The Strengh to Love hoop farms from Lorman St.“I love it because the kids in the neighborhood—they’ll mess up everything, you know how kids are in a neighborhood like this—they don’t mess it up at all,” said Damon Leighton, one of the employees on the farm. “They respect me because I’ve been here so long and they respect my job. They come through and if they can help they will.”Strength to Love has not only supplied Leighton with a job, it has also made him healthier, introducing him to better food options which, combined with the hard work of farming, have enabled him to lose approximately 75 pounds.For Owens, Strength to Love’s greatest contribution, however, is hope.“This is what we do. Just a community thing, trying to help all the people in our community, give people jobs, give them some hope,” said Owens. “When you have some hope you can wake up and get started in the morning. When you ain’t got no hope, you just lay there and think of something crazy to do, which usually winds up being something bad.”
Kolkata: The state Power department has started using a new technology for strengthening the power distribution system with special emphasis on quick identification of faults in electricity supply lines. “We have started using SEEDN technology, which enables us to locate the exact area of the fault as we start moving from the substation located in a particular area, from where the fault has been reported. The technology is equipped with a fault passage indicator, which helps in quick location of the electric pole, where there has been a problem,” state Power minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay said. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsEarlier, engineers from the Power department had to travel long distances and check every single pole to identify the exact place of the fault. The department has already installed this technology in 50 feeder boxes across the state.It has been found that due to frequent thundershowers in recent times, there have been frequent power faults and the engineers from the Power department has addressed the situation in no time by the use of this modern technology. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killed”Apart from the inclement weather resulting in power disturbances, overdrawing of power by illegal means have also resulted in power cut,” a senior official of the department said. The department, with the objective of sustainable and uninterrupted power connection, has taken up a project of underground cable system for power supply in 77 urban townships across the state. The department has successfully completed laying of such underground cables for electricity at Nabadwip in Nadia district and Bolpur in Birbhum.”We have targetted to complete the underground power supply project by 2025. We will be taking up an average of 11 urban townships a year for installing this facility. This will help us achieve our aim of laying underground power supply infrastructure for 77 such townships in the state,” an official said. Overhead power supply is often affected when there are inclement weather conditions, like a storm or heavy rainfall. “Apart from this, there is rampant power theft due to hooking, which results in loss for the department. Underground power connection will make the situation much better,” a senior official of West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd (WBSEDCL), which is implementing the project said.