first_imgA house in Vancouver’s Burton area was heavily damaged Friday evening in a blaze that sent up a plume of black smoke visible from more than a mile away.The fire, which caused an estimated $210,000 damage, was caused by a firework device that a man lit outside, said Jim Flaherty, firefighter-spokesman with the Vancouver Fire Department. It ricocheted into the open garage and ignited combustibles inside.Firefighters were called to 11401 N.E. 23rd St. at 6:32 p.m. Many witnesses had called 911.The first crews arrived in seven minutes to find flames flaring from the garage and spreading into the home. Four occupants had made it outside safely with two of their dogs. A third dog died and a cat hadn’t been found, Flaherty said later.Firefighters streamed water on the flames from outside, then went inside. They had the fire under control at 6:55 p.m. The home was significantly damaged by fire and smoke.No humans were reported injured, but the four occupants were displaced by the damage. Firefighters called for Red Cross volunteers to come to the scene and help the occupants with temporary lodging and other needs, Flaherty said.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *