The Government has announced plans to place more focus on the mining of rare earth minerals in the coming year, particularly lithium.According to Minister of Natural Resources Raphael Trotman, a survey will be carried out “to get a better sense of what exactly we have.”Last year, a permit was given to a Canadian company for prospecting of lithium.“That company has started doing some drilling and has seen signs of lithium. I believe they are now in the process of looking for financiers to go further,” Trotman said.The Canadian based company, Guyana Strategic Metals (GSM) Incorporated that is operating in Region Sevenr signed an agreement earlier this year with an Australian company, Greenpower Energy to acquire interests in the exploration.In the coming months, Greenpower Energy is expected to carry out an airborne geophysical survey to focus on the follow-up work.Lithium was discovered in Guyana five years ago .It is said to be the lightest known metal and is commonly used to make rechargeable batteries such as those found in cell phones. The metal was said to be discovered some five years ago in Guyana.
With thousands of undocumented immigrants facing possible deportation from the United States, Caribbean-American legislators are urging the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) to urgently mobilize a pushback against President Donald Trump’s decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).DACA, a policy initiated by former President Barack Obama, had prevented granted about 800,000 young undocumented immigrants brought to the US as children from deportation. Caribbean-born officials warn that scrapping the program will be devastating. Yvette Clarke leads the chargeUS Congresswoman Yvette D Clarke, the daughter of Jamaican immigrants, called the move a “reckless and cruel decision” that punished immigrants in a misguided effort to undermine Obama’s proud legacy. She said Trump’s action was an attempt to “satisfy anti-immigrant white supremacists who are afraid of our modern, diverse nation”.“Throughout the history of the United States, there are decisions we have come to regret. I am certain that future generations will deeply regret this terrible decision,” she said.At the same, New York Council member Jumanne Williams, who has Grenadian heritage, is urging CARICOM to speak out against the development. Become part of the resistance“We must all become a part of the resistance. This president has made it clear that he’s coming for all of us, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not,” Williams said. “I am urging the Caribbean community to mobilize with more urgency on this issue. This issue will almost certainly endanger scores of Caribbean immigrants, and it is imperative that we join with our more active Latino brothers and sisters to make our voices heard loudly on this issue.”Williams said the issue should be challenged in the law courts and efforts made to turn up the pressure on Congress to fight the issue with legislation.Just before the dreaded announcement came Tuesday, New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio old the gathering attending the pre-Caribbean Carnival Breakfast on Monday, that he was prepared to take legal action if President Trump followed through with his threat to end DACA.After the announcement made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, President Trump issued a statement blaming former President Obama for creating the program through executive authority, and urged Congress to come up with a solution.
The police in St. Kitts-Nevis are calling on media practitioners to adhere to “sound ethical practices and the law” when reporting on sexual offences following allegations that law enforcement officials were engaged in a cover-up of an alleged rape.Police have since arrested and charged one person in connection with the matter.Journalist should exercise responsibility But in a statement, the police said it has come to the realization that some media houses here may not be familiar with the relevant legislation regarding sexual offences and urged journalists to exercise responsibility when reporting on sexual matters.“Sexual offences are extremely sensitive in nature. There are many factors, both current and those that may arise in the future, that media entities should take into consideration when publishing information relating to such crimes.“Editors should be guided by their journalistic training, sound ethical practices and the law to ensure that all information published does not have an adverse effect on the victim, the case, or the accused if exonerated, and it should also comply with the laws of the land,” the police said in the statement.The statement was accompanied by the relevant section of the Offences Against the Person Act which speaks to reporting on sexual offences.According to the law, a person’s name charged with a sexual offence which is likely to lead the public to identify a person as the complainant or as the accused, shall either be published in a written publication or be broadcast in St. Kitts and Nevis.The legislation warns that a person who publishes or broadcasts any matter contrary to this, commits an offense and is liable eon summary conviction to a fine not exceeding EC$5000 or imprisonment of a term not exceeding two years.According to the legislation, offences include rape, defilement of a female under 16 years, indecent assault, sodomy, incest, any offence involving children, and any attempt to commit any of these offences.
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (CMC) — Shai Hope’s ninth One-Day International hundred went in vain as West Indies lost their composure inside the last 10 overs to suffer a narrow one-wicket loss to Sri Lanka in a tense opener of the three-match series on Saturday.Sent in at the Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, West Indies’ 289 for seven from their 50 overs was underpinned by Hope’s stylish 115 from 140 balls – his third century in his last eight innings and fifth in the last 10 months.Roston Chase (41) and left-hander Darren Bravo (39) both got starts but failed to carry on while all-rounder Keemo Paul lashed a 17-ball unbeaten 32 batting at number eight, to give the Caribbean side a strong finish.Captain Dimuth Karunaratne then topscored with 52 off 57 deliveries in a century opening stand with Avishka Fernando (50) while Kusal Perera struck 42 off 50 balls.However, it was Man-of-the-Match Wanindu Hasaranga with a lively unbeaten 42 off 39 deliveries which turned the game in Sri Lanka’s favour, in a 38-run, seventh-wicket standoff 30 balls with Thisara Perera who thumped a cameo 32 from 22 balls.On 231 for six at the end of the 40th over and requiring 59 runs from 60 balls for victory, Sri Lanka got the better of the exchanges thanks to Hasaranga’s efforts, the 22-year-old right-hander blasting four fours and a six and Perera counting three fours and a six.The contest could have been even tighter late on but left-arm pacer Sheldon Cottrell’s last two overs leaked 21 runs and Sri Lanka got home in the end with five balls to spare.Fast bowler Alzarri Joseph claimed three for 42 while leg-spinner Hayden Walsh (2-38) and seamer Paul (2-48) ended with two wickets apiece.For the Windies, the defeat left them trailing in the three-match series, needing to win the remaining matches in order to clinch their first-ever ODI series win in on Sri Lankan soil.Hope had earlier taken the spotlight for the Caribbean side, stroking 10 fours in his first hundred against Sri Lanka and sixth on the subcontinent.
– CMC The contraband cigarettes were transferred to warehouses, from there the cargo is to be delivered to customs authorities. The commander of the 10th battalion in the Dominican army, Colonel Roberto Sosa de la Cruz, said the operation was part of the measures ordered by the Minister of Defense here, in the fight against smuggling on the border with Haiti. According to a report from the military, the army discovered the cargo in an abandoned house in the province of Dajabon, located on the border shared with Haiti. SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – Members of the army in the Dominican Republic have seized a cargo load of 126,000 packages of contraband cigarettes that came from neighboring Haiti. The authorities say that the smugglers who were preparing the goods for distribution on the national market, fled through the bushes in an attempt to return to Haiti. Dominican soldiers direct traffic outside a hotel which will house heads of state ahead of the Group of Rio summit in Santo Domingo March 6, 2008. Leaders of Latin American nations arrived on Thursday to attend the two day meeting. REUTERS/Andrew Winning (Dominican Republic)
Ferrari announced the one-year extension of Kimi Raikkonen’s contract with the team and it makes complete sense to Ferrari boss, Maurizio Arrivabene. He feels the decision to stick with Raikkonen is good for team morale.Vettel also got a new 3-year deal on the back of title chasing years with Ferrari, but a lot has been said about Kimi Raikkonnen’s inability to win in Formula in the last 4 years, 3 of which have been with Ferrari.These new deals ensure that the Scuderia will be having the same pair of drivers in the Formula 1 for the fourth straight season and Arrivabene thinks it’s the most logical choice to make.“The reason why I think is quite clear,” he said. “They went through the last three years with great co-operation within themselves. They feel very good together, being part of the team and translating this spirit to the overall team, I think we don’t find any reason why we should not confirm them together.”Arrivabene still has the ‘dream’ of seeing the Finnish veteran on top of the podium and he says he believes Kimi Raikkonen still has the pace to make it happen considering that he was only second to his teammate, Sébastien Vettel, in Monaco and Hungary.“He demonstrated that he could be capable to do it in Monaco. Also in Hungary, he was nearly there. I would be happy if Kimi is going to win a race during the course of this season. For me, it could be a dream, because he was working so hard during the last three years and I think if he is going to win I can be happy.”Runaway champion in the Formula 2, Charles Leclerc, who is a Ferrari driver, was hoping to get a nod to fill in Kimi’s position if the Finn had left the team.Raikkonen stays and for now, Sauber looks like they will be giving Leclerc his Formula 1 debut next season. Arrivabene says he’ll only let Leclerc Into the main team after he has proven himself in the Formula 1.“Talking about the young drivers, they are growing, our objective is to of course to grow up young drivers and maybe to see them in the future with us. This is the final goal. But, before that, they need to demonstrate in Formula One that they deserve it.”Kimi Raikkonen has a big chance to win his first race in four years when Formula 1 returns to Singapore on September 17.RelatedThe 2017 Formula 1 Pirelli Magyar Nagydij ReviewJuly 31, 2017In “Sports”Analysing How Ferrari Are Behind Impressive Mercedes in 2017October 20, 2017In “Formula One”Vettel ‘Lacks Confidence’ In His Car Even After Australia WinMarch 27, 2018In “Formula One”
English giants Chelsea and Manchester City are under investigation by world football’s ruling body, FIFA, over their recruitment of young players under the age of 18.Chelsea are being investigated by FIFA for the third time, and one of the previous investigations culminated in a two-year transfer in 2009. On the other hand, Manchester City were fined £300,000 and banned from signing academy players for two years in May by the Premier League.FIFA has strict rules in place when it comes to the signing of young players under the age of 18 in a bid to prevent trafficking and exploitation.On the new development, Chelsea are adamant that they “comply with all Fifa statutes and regulations when recruiting players” while Manchester City claim they are not aware of any investigation.Chelsea were banned from transfers for two years in 2009 after they were found guilty of prompting Gael Kukuta to break his contract with French side Lens before the ban was lifted on appeal. Seven years later, they were investigated for the 2014 signing of Burkina Faso international forward Bertrand Traore from Association Jeunes Espoirs De Bobo-Dioulasso.Manchester City were punished by the Premier League after they were found guilty of approaching the family of two young players who were on the books of other clubs.According to FIFA rules, the transfer of under-18 players to different countries is prohibited unless they meet strict criteria.Under-18 players can only be transferred abroad if:The player’s parents move to the country in which the new club is located for non-footballing reasons.Both clubs are in the European Union or European Economic Area and the player is aged between 16 and 18. Even then, the buying club must meet more criteria relating to education, training, living conditions and support.They live within 100km of the club. RelatedManchester City Get Slap On The Wrist For Breaking FIFA Transfer RulesAugust 13, 2019In “England”FIFA Bans Chelsea, Drops Heavy Fine On English FAFebruary 22, 2019In “England”Chelsea Plan Panic Buying Ahead of FIFA Transfer BanNovember 18, 2018In “England”
DATA.BET to make esports data debut in $250,000 ICE tournament January 15, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles ICE London confirms double digit attendance increase April 10, 2018 Share Share Submit Covid concerns see Clarion Gaming move ICE 2021 to April July 15, 2020 ICE 2017 will occupy a total net space of 40,925 sqm compared to the 38,980 sqm in 2016, making it the biggest ICE on record.The additional 1,945 sqm represents a 5% increase in space for the only B2B gaming event in the world that brings together the online and offline gaming sectors. The 2016 event attracted a record 28,487 visitors drawn from 150 nations.Kate Chambers, Managing Director of Clarion’s Gaming Division and the person responsible for the development of ICE since it moved to its current home at the ExCeL, said: “Whilst it is obviously positive to be able to talk about the growth of ICE in this way, equally we are very aware of the need to control and manage the brand’s development rather than pursue a full-out expansion strategy.“What this means in practice is that we are working hard to try and mirror expansion on the show floor with a concomitant increase in visitors, a task that we continue to invest in through enhanced marketing and communications.“We are only guardians of the ICE brand and it’s essential for us to manage the growth strategy in a sensible, pragmatic and, most importantly, sustainable way. Relocating to ExCeL has allowed us to grow the brand, but at the right pace.”She added: “The growth of ICE is the result of two trends. Firstly, our existing customers have been keen to expand their stand presence and secondly, we have a total of 91 exhibitors from 34 nations who will be making their first appearance with us in February.“It’s a nice, balanced combination of established, well known gaming innovators alongside some new faces and gaming industry start-ups. Our challenge is to provide a professional business environment in which all of our exhibitors, of all sizes, can flourish.”
Submit Ory WeihsIssuing a market note, London AIM listed industry marketing and player acquisition specialist XLMedia has informed that its two largest shareholders WebPals Entertainment and Partners Limited Partnership have agreed to sell their remaining stakes in its enterprise.The joint disposal will see early stage investor WebPals and Israeli VC fund Partners Limited place 64.2 million of XLMedia shares for sale, at a target price of 110p per share.The combined share sale represents approximately 32% of equity in XLMedia, for a sum of £70.6 million. XLMedia governance has confirmed that private bank Berenberg will be acting a sole bookrunner for the transaction.As a result of the share sale, XLMedia Chief Executive and Founder Ory Weihs will be forced to decrease his corporate shareholding from 4.5 to 2.7 million shares, as Weihs holds an indirect attachment to investor WebPals Entertainment.Last February, WebPals sold 40 million XLMedia shares, representing a 20% stake, at 100p per share.Presenting its full-year 2016 financial results this March, XLMedia governance reported company revenues of $103 million with FY net profits of $31 million (2015: $24.3 million); Share XLMedia completes takeover of 101GreatGoals.com July 17, 2020 Share Amit Ben Yehuda steps down from XLMedia August 13, 2020 Related Articles XLMedia feels strain of Google deranking July 23, 2020 StumbleUpon
StumbleUpon Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 Successful summer leaves Leadstar positive over industry’s recovery August 18, 2020 Related Articles Share Submit Issuing a short statement this weekend, the governance of the English Premier League (EPL) has confirmed that Susanna Dinnage will not be taking on the role of Premier League Chief Executive in 2019.Last November, EPL governance had announced the inbound appointment of Dinnage as first female Chief Executive of the Premier League replacing outgoing incumbent Richard Scudamore, who ended his 19-year leadership tenure this December.Entering 2019, the EPL was set to operate under a realigned leadership framework, with media executive Dinnage the former President of Discovery Networks for UK & Ireland acting as league Chief Executive, supported by the pending appointment of a new Non-Executive Chair.“Despite her commitment to the Premier League in early November, Susanna Dinnage has now advised the Nominations Committee that she will not be taking up the position of Chief Executive” details the EPL’s media release.“The Committee has reconvened its search and is talking to candidates. There will be no further comment until an appointment is made”.In previous EPL communications, Dinnage had been branded as ‘the outstanding candidate to lead the Premier League’, by Chelsea FC Chairman Bruce Buck, the Chair of the EPL’s Nomination Committee.Sports stakeholders will be monitoring the EPL’s leadership search in 2019, as the world’s richest football league enters a disruptive period navigating Brexit complexities, audience engagement with new media verticals, and dealing with the rising costs of match day prices. Share Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season August 21, 2020