AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 “If you’re playing back in that situation, a line drive in front of you scores two runs,” said Angels coach Ron Roenicke, who positions the outfielders. “We just put (outfielders) in place where (hitters) are apt to hit the ball, and (Cano) smoked it. In general, not too many left-handers drive the ball in this ballpark the opposite way.” But Cano did, and it was the difference in the game. “Since I was a little kid, I used to hit the ball to left field,” Cano said. “That’s something I’ve been working on the whole year here in the big leagues, and to use the whole field.” Colon pounded his fist into his glove after the play, upset he couldn’t get the final out of the inning. “I was looking to throw a fastball away, but it was maybe a little higher than I wanted,” Colon said of the 2-2 pitch. “He hit it higher than I thought he would.” Anderson was unavailable for comment because he left the ballpark before reporters were allowed into the clubhouse after the game. Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield and Derek Jeter had two hits apiece for the Yankees, who could not muster any more offense after the second inning. Colon, the probable Cy Young Award winner in the American League, had his worst start of the season this year against the Yankees back on April 26 in a 12-4 loss. Tuesday, he settled down after his early-inning troubles and went seven innings, allowing four runs and eight hits. He allowed only one Yankees base runner to reach scoring position after the second inning, but by then, the damage had been done. Mussina, who carried a 14-8 career record against the Angels into the game, shut out the Angels on five hits through 5 innings. The Angels’ only runs of the game came on Bengie Molina’s solo homer off Tanyon Sturtze with one out in the seventh inning, and Darin Erstad’s one-out RBI single in the ninth off Yankees closer Mariano Rivera, who earned the save. Their best opportunity to get to Mussina came in the second inning when Juan Rivera singled with two out and Steve Finley followed with a liner into the right-field corner that took a Yankees bounce when it one-hopped into the seats. “I think the key (play) was the ball bouncing into the seats,” Mussina said. “Because Rivera was going to score if the ball stays in play, and Finley might have ended up on third.” Adam Kennedy popped out to left to end the threat. “I get a base hit in the second and the lead is cut in half, and (the 4-0 deficit) is not that big of a deal,” Kennedy said. “After that we couldn’t get much going.” Colon retired the first two batters of the game, then yielded consecutive singles to Giambi, Sheffield and Hideki Matsui, setting the stage for Cano, who came up with the biggest hit of his young career. “The kid had a great at-bat,” Yankees manager Joe Torre said. “That’s not easy to do. To have that kind of an at-bat in that kind of situation was really something.” The Yankees added to their lead in the second inning, again coming up with clutch two-out hits. After Colon struck out both Bernie Williams and Bubba Crosby to begin the inning, Jeter singled to spark the rally. Colon fell behind in the count to Alex Rodriguez, 2-0, then drilled him with a pitch in the back. Rodriguez has hit Colon well during his career, batting .442 (19 for 43) with seven home runs, including three in one game earlier this season. Giambi followed with his second hit in the day, a line drive into the right-field corner to drive home Jeter for a 4-0 Yankees lead. Through the first two innings, the Yankees were 6-for-8 with two outs, and Colon had already made 48 pitches. Losing the first game of a playoff series is nothing new to the Angels, who lost the first game in each of their three series in 2002, and they won all three. “Obviously it wasn’t by design then and it’s not by design now,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. “We have to keep playing our game, and we have to do a little better job offensively.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Angels had no need for a closer, not after their starter struggled early and put them in a hole from which they could not climb out. The Yankees jumped on Bartolo Colon in the first inning and rode the arm of starter Mike Mussina and the Yankees bullpen to a 4-2 victory and 1-0 series lead before a crowd of 45,142 at Angel Stadium. With all of the Yankees’ offensive firepower, it was rookie Robinson Cano who came up with the big hit, a two-out, three-run double in the first inning that set the tone for the night. Angels left fielder Garret Anderson, who had played left field only once since Sept. 20 because of a sore back, was playing shallow by design and got a poor jump on the ball. ANAHEIM – The Angels might have hoped to relive some of that postseason magic of 2002 when they asked ex-Angels pitcher Troy Percival to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 1 of the American League Division Series against the New York Yankees on Tuesday night. Maybe that was the problem: Percival, wearing jeans and a black shirt, was throwing the first pitch of the game, not the last.
A towering presence on court… a booming serve — Vishnu Vardhan is one of the bright stars in the next line of India’s tennis players. And, to justify this tag, the 24-year-old has ensured that his career has witnessed a steady rise in the past couple of years.Many are surprised that the youngster from Vizag has been picked by the All India Tennis Association (AITA) to pair with Leander Paes for the 2012 London Olympics. However, this is not the first time that the association has shown faith in him.Vishnu, in fact, is no stranger to big-ticket events. In 2010, he was chosen to represent India in the Asian Games, where he did his reputation no harm.As India’s number two ranked player, Vishnu won the bronze medal in the men’s team event and also partnered Sania Mirza in the mixed doubles to ensure another silver medal for the country.Moreover, Vishnu has been in great form this year, winning two ITF tournaments, the most recent one in Bangalore just a few days ago.As far as chemistry on court is concerned, Vishnu’s baseline game and big serve would fall perfectly in place with Paes’s net-play, allowing the veteran to exploit his deft touches to the maximum.So do we have a gold medal winning pair? Well, not quite. There’s certainly a lot of fine-tuning and hard work that will have to be put in by both players in the month or so before the Olympics begin. But the prospects are surely bright. And who knows, perhaps there is a surprise in store!advertisement
ATLANTA — Atlanta Hawks player Thabo Sefolosha said he is in “great pain” and blamed New York City police for causing a “significant injury” that knocked him out for the season.The backup forward sustained a fractured right lower leg and ligament damage while being arrested with teammate Pero Antic outside a Manhattan nightclub while the Hawks were in the city to face the Brooklyn Nets last week.Sefolosha won’t return until next season, costing the top-seeded Hawks a strong perimeter defender heading into the playoffs.“On advice of counsel, I hope you can appreciate that I cannot discuss the facts of the case. Those questions will be answered by my attorney in a court of law,” Sefolosha said after practice, reading from a statement in his first public comments since the incident.“I will simply say that I am in great pain, have experienced a significant injury, and that the injury was caused by the police.”He also said this “has been a difficult time for me and I truly appreciate the support I have received from everyone. I am extremely disappointed that I will not be able to join my teammates on the court during the playoffs and apologize to them for any distraction this incident has caused. I will be cheering for them every step of the way and will be diligent in my rehabilitation.”Antic and Sefolosha were at the scene April 8y when Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland was stabbed outside the nightclub. The Hawks players were charged with obstructing authorities and disorderly conduct, though Antic said they weren’t even with Copeland when the stabbing occurred.“We don’t have nothing to do with what happened with that,” Antic said last week. “We weren’t together. We didn’t even see the guy and whatever happened, happened way before.”Copeland, his girlfriend and another woman were stabbed. Copeland underwent surgery and a 22-year-old suspect was taken into custody.Sefolosha declined to answer most questions from reporters after his statement. When asked about a video that surfaced online allegedly showing the police striking him in the leg with a baton, he said, ” I don’t want to go into details on anything but I think the video speaks for itself.”Sefolosha said he will undergo surgery in the next few days and had a better timetable on his return for next season.“I am disappointed that I will miss the playoffs. I hate this feeling that I’m letting my teammates down,” he said. “At the same time, I can’t speak too much on it. I just hate the bad look it gives on the team.”Antic, a backup center, said he and Sefolosha were not trying to shield police or onlookers from Copeland.“I would say that it’s a pure example of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Antic said. “I mean, people know Thabo for so many years in the league. He’s probably one of the greatest guys.”The NBA players union said it was investigating the arrests. An attorney for the players, Alex Spiro, said they did nothing wrong and that he expects the charges to be dropped.Both were released without bail. Sefolosha was limping noticeably during his court appearance.“The players union is concerned about the circumstances of Thabo Sefolosha and Pero Antic’s arrest,” National Basketball Players Association spokeswoman Tara Greco said.The Hawks (60-21) have set a franchise record for wins and have the top seed in the conference playoffs for only the second time since moving to Atlanta in 1968. The loss of Sefolosha came with the Hawks already dealing with the loss of All-Star forward Paul Millsap with a sprained right shoulder.Millsap practiced April 14 and may be able to play in the regular-season finale April 15 at Chicago. The Hawks will host Game 1 of the playoffs either April 18 or 19.TweetPinShare0 Shares
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Cardiff boss Warnock furious with ref ‘experiment’ for Watford defeatby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCardiff City boss Neil Warnock was furious after their 3-2 win over Watford.Andrew Madley officiated the game at Vicarage Road, which ended in a win for the Hornets, the young referee’s first Premier League game of the season.In fact it was only Madley’s second ever match officiating in the English top tier, a decision which left Warnock bemused.”I was disappointed in one or two things,” said Warnock.”I thought Murphy should have had a free-kick, I thought it was very similar to the one he gave on the edge of their box.”And I thought Troy Deeney was lucky not to get a card if I’m honest. Conditions were poor but once he started sliding in and the goalie was going to get it, he could have pulled his foot away.”When I’ve got Andre Marriner sat at the side of me and I’ve got a young referee who’s (refereeing) his first game of the season, I don’t understand that at all.”Whether it’s just because ‘it’s only Cardiff City and we’ll let someone have an experiment today…”
Romero reveals Solskjaer has ‘restored happiness’ at Man Utdby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer restored happiness to the playing group.The Norwegian has gone five from five since taking over as caretaker manager last month.And Romero believes that the players are enjoying their football.”We’ve had a great run,” Romero told the club’s website.”Not just the results, but the way in which we have won the games as well. Scoring five goals in one match was a big boost to confidence and was really something.”What we’re showing now, after a great Christmas, is only right for a club of this stature, [it] proves what we can do. The run we’ve had over Christmas and new year is testament to that.”[The manager] knows what he wants to achieve – both for the club and us as individuals. On the pitch and within the club, he has made it very clear from the outset so we know the expectation of us inside the club and externally.”You can see he has brought to the club a certain happiness and it is going well.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say REVEALED: Mourinho has Man Utd pay-off settledby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJose Mourinho is free to negotiate his next job after being paid his compensation up front by Manchester United in December.The Daily Mail says United paid up Mourinho’s £15million compensation package immediately after he was sacked.The 55-year-old was dismissed on December 18 after two and a half seasons in charge.The fact that he received the pay-off on his departure from Old Trafford means he is free to return to management.A source said, “There are no issues over Jose’s contract with Manchester United. Everything has been sorted.”Jose is able to take on another job right now, but is in no rush. He is very relaxed about it and would be happy to wait until the end of the season if he needs to.”
Pogba willing to stay with Man Utd – for record wagesby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the lovePaul Pogba is demanding Manchester United make him one of the highest paid players in the world if they want him to stay.Tuttosport says the midfielder’s first choice is to leave United, with Real Madrid and Juventus keen.However, Pogba is prepared to stay with United if they accept his terms.The World Cup winner is seeking over €650,000-a-week to stay – or €34m-a-year.New contract talks commenced between the two parties on Tuesday. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Burnley midfielder Jeff Hendrick: The key to early season formby Paul Vegas13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley midfielder Jeff Hendrick admits a lack of Europa League football has worked in their favour this season.The Clarets are seventh in the Premier League table after an impressive start to the campaign. “We’ve progressed but I think last year was a bit different,” the midfielder said.“I know it was frustrating for us as players and maybe the fans, staff and everyone.“At the start of the season, with the games we had, it was difficult, it was tiring.“I was talking to my friend at Wolves when we played them and I said, ‘How are you getting on with the European football?’ and he just said he’s constantly tired.“Without even knowing, the travelling does take it out of you and that’s what happened with us last year.“Even when we were out of that, we tried to pick the performances up, but it didn’t work.“Eventually we sat down, we all got on the same track and the performances started to pick up and we got some points on the board, which we did need at the back end of last year.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Story Highlights Director at the Unit, Damian Cox, told JIS News that the entity will be introducing institutional report cards to measure how public authorities are performing in terms of providing access to information and the overall fulfilment of access to information rights. The Access to Information (ATI) Unit will be undertaking some critical initiatives aimed at improving service delivery, compliance and reporting mechanisms for government ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs).Director at the Unit, Damian Cox, told JIS News that the entity will be introducing institutional report cards to measure how public authorities are performing in terms of providing access to information and the overall fulfilment of access to information rights.He noted that the initiative will commence with a pilot in 10 public authorities, and is aimed at addressing some of the gaps that have been identified through the complaints and appeals processes.“We are pushing for a baseline assessment of access to information knowledge of rights for next year, so we are going to be ramping up both our public education campaign and then measuring how many persons actually know about their rights, and how they can use access to information to empower themselves,” the Director informed.He added that the Unit will be considering improved mechanisms to reach its clients more effectively though social media, its website and other electronic platforms.“So, we are looking at how do we reach more Jamaicans in the ways in which it is convenient for them; how do we respond in terms of persons accessing information in a more mobile way and how do we engage our stakeholders in trying to make sure that information is provided to persons and access to information rights can be upheld in a manner that suits the user,” Mr. Cox noted further.He pointed out that the Unit’s intention is to transform its operations through improved, effective means that will see it delivering better service to both the general public and the public authorities. He noted that the initiative will commence with a pilot in 10 public authorities, and is aimed at addressing some of the gaps that have been identified through the complaints and appeals processes. The Access to Information (ATI) Unit will be undertaking some critical initiatives aimed at improving service delivery, compliance and reporting mechanisms for government ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs).