Chase Carey says F1 will not change approach despite promoters’ concern

first_imgFormula One’s chief executive, Chase Carey, has hit back in his row with race promoters by insisting the sport’s owners will not change their approach.F1 met with unhappy grands prix chiefs in London last week after they issued a statement criticising how the sport is being run. Share on Messenger Share on WhatsApp … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. Whether we are up close or further away, the Guardian brings our readers a global perspective on the most critical issues of our lifetimes – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. We believe complex stories need context in order for us to truly understand them. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on LinkedIn F1 promoters association expecting more cooperation from Liberty Media Share on Twitter Since you’re here… Topics news Share on Facebook Support The Guardian Sign up to The Recap, our weekly email of editors’ picks. Share via Email Carey, who took over from Bernie Ecclestone following Liberty Media’s £6.4bn acquisition of F1 two years ago, is usually hesitant to speak in public. But responding to the promoters’ group, the American, understood to have been upset by the criticism, said: “It’s not going to change what we are doing.“It’s part of life, you are going to find a bunch of people who have something to complain about and are going to make noise. We will go forward and do what we are doing.”On the eve of last week’s summit, the Formula One Promoters’ Association, that claimed to represent 16 of the 21 grands prix and of which Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle is chairman, accused the sport’s owners of lacking clarity.Carey, who was speaking to ESPN, added: “We already had a day set up to talk about initiatives and they, well, only a couple of guys, put out a press release saying we need to talk about initiatives. That was the strangest part.”The British Grand Prix is set to fall off the F1 calendar at the end of the year unless a new deal can be agreed.The British Racing Drivers’ Club, owners of the Northamptonshire circuit, initiated a break clause in their contract in 2017 over escalating hosting fees.They will pay an estimated £20m to stage this year’s event. Monza, Hockenheim, Barcelona and Mexico City are also entering the final season of their respective contracts. Formula One Motor sport Share on Pinterest Read more It was announced on Tuesday that F1 has renewed its deal to race in Azerbaijan until at least 2023.And in an apparent warning to Silverstone, Carey added: “There are issues we have got to wrestle around, and we do have others that are being aggressive about wanting to be a part of the calendar. We don’t have that many slots.“Silverstone chose to make it public a couple of years ago, but we have continued to deal with it as a private discussion, with them and our other partners.”Meanwhile, F1 will have a race in Azerbaijan until at least 2023 after a new deal was announced on Tuesday. The grand prix on the streets of Baku was due to expire next season, but a three-year extension has been agreed. Reuse this contentlast_img read more