Local reporter found beheaded in Mexico’s Veracruz state

first_imgNews MexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeFreedom of expressionViolence May 5, 2021 Find out more 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies The other four journalists to have been murdered in Mexico 2020 are Pablo Morrugares, Víctor Fernando Álvarez Chávez, Jorge Miguel Armenta Ávalos and Maria Elena Ferral Hernández, who was also from Veracruz state. Veracruz is one of Mexico’s most dangerous states (see, for example, RSF’s 2017 report), with three journalists murdered there since Cuitláhuac García was sworn in as governor in December 2018. The body of Julio Valdivia Rodríguez, 41, was found yesterday afternoon a few kilometres outside Tezonapa, a municipality 100 km southwest of the city of Veracruz. RSF has been told residents called the police after finding his headless body and, a few meters away, his head and his motorcycle with his newspaper’s logo. Rodríguez had been a Tezonapa-based local correspondent for the daily Diario El Mundo for the past seven years, covering general news. Because of an increase in violence in the area this year, he recently began specializing in what the Mexican media call “nota roja” – crime, accidents and natural disasters. His last report, on 7 September, was about an armed clash between the police and a local criminal gang. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) reiterates its appeal to Mexico’s federal and local authorities to take urgent measures to protect journalists throughout the country and, in particular, in the eastern state of Veracruz, where a local newspaper reporter yesterday became the fifth Mexican journalist to be murdered this year. Organisation Mexico is ranked 143rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. Rodríguez was given protection by the Veracruz State Commission for the Attention and Protection of Journalists (CEAPP) in 2015 after the murder of Armando Saldaña Morales, a fellow journalist from Tezonapa. The protection was soon withdrawn and since then Rodríguez had not reported receiving any specific threat to the CEAAP. Located in mountains on the border with Oaxaca state, Tezonapa and the adjoining Oaxacan municipality of Cosolapa have become a strategic centre for the region’s criminal groups, who wage turf wars and compete for privileged links with local politicians. Illegal trafficking in fuel, extortion, kidnappings and murders have all become common there in the past three years. News May 13, 2021 Find out more MexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeFreedom of expressionViolence Receive email alertscenter_img Ten journalists were murdered in connection with their work in Mexico in 2019, which made it the world’s deadliest country for media personnel. Help by sharing this information Reports Follow the news on Mexico September 10, 2020 Local reporter found beheaded in Mexico’s Veracruz state “A crime of such brutality cannot go unpunished,” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of RSF’s Latin America bureau. “The Veracruz authorities must lose no time in identifying this murder’s perpetrators and instigators and should focus their investigation on a link with the victim’s journalistic work. Reporters in Veracruz have been subjected to an absolutely appalling level of violence for more than a decade. We call on the local and federal authorities to take stock of the extreme vulnerability of journalists in Veracruz and do what is necessary to guarantee their safety.” to go further Source: Colima Noticias News Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state RSF_en NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say April 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Cuban regime fears bloggers more than “traditional” dissidents

first_img October 15, 2020 Find out more December 29, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Cuban regime fears bloggers more than “traditional” dissidents News New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council RSF_en CubaAmericas Organisation News News Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet Newscenter_img Cables: 09HAVANA221, 10HAVANA9, 09HAVANA592According to US government cables leaked by WikiLeaks, American diplomats based in Havana believe that the Cuban regime fears the country’s bloggers much more than “traditional” dissidents.In a cable dated 15 April 2009, Jonathan Farrar of the US Interests Section in Havana said the dissident movement in Cuba has become as “old and as out of touch” with the lives of ordinary Cubans as the regime itself. “We see very little evidence that the mainline dissident organizations have much resonance among ordinary Cubans,” he wrote, adding that they nonetheless were the “conscience of Cuba” and deserved US support.In a cable sent on 20 December 2009, Farrar said the Cuban government saw bloggers as its “most serious challenge.” Referring to Cuba’s netizens as “a group that frustrates and scares the (government of Cuba) like no other,” he said their reporting of the arrests and mistreatment they underwent constituted a useful political tool. “The bloggers’ mushrooming international popularity and their ability to stay one tech-step ahead of the authorities are causing serious headaches in the regime,” Farrar wrote, adding: “We believe it is the younger generation of ‘non-traditional dissidents’ that is likely to have a greater long term impact on post-Castro Cuba.”Another cable noted: “Younger individuals, including bloggers, musicians, and performing and plastic artists do not belong to identifiable organizations, though they are much better at taking ‘rebellious’ stands with greater popular appeal.”Read the cables:http://www.wikileaks.ch/cable/2009/04/09HAVANA221.htmlhttp://www.wikileaks.ch/cable/2010/01/10HAVANA9.htmlhttp://www.wikileaks.ch/cable/2009/09/09HAVANA592.html RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago May 6, 2020 Find out more CubaAmericas to go further Follow the news on Cuba Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts October 12, 2018 Find out morelast_img read more

Gardai identify human remains found in Limerick

first_imgWalk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Email RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR No vaccines in Limerick yet Print NewsLocal NewsGardai identify human remains found in LimerickBy Editor – May 9, 2013 800 Gardaí across Ireland take on viral dance challenge Twitter TAGSbodyfeaturedGardahuman remainsmissingPolish Previous articleAfter Dark – Riverfest FireworksNext articleThe feelgood factor Editor center_img Facebook Advertisement Man and woman arrested after Gardaí seize cash and suspected drugs worth more than €28,000 WhatsApp The Garda Technical Unit examining the scene where the human remains were found on Tuesday.The Garda Technical Unit examining the scene where the human remains were found on Tuesday.by Andrew Carey [email protected] remains found in undergrowth near a riverside walkway in Limerick earlier this week are believed to be those of a Polish national missing in the city since last year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Mayorstone Gardaí, assisted by the State Pathologist office and technical experts have been able to identify and date the remains to last year and they have been in contact with the man’s family in Poland.Gardaí are continuing their investigation following the discovery of the fragmented remains last week at an area close to the North Circular Road junction with the Condell Road.Council workers clearing rubbish from an area of undergrowth close to the   walkway found a human skull shortly after 11am last Tuesday and Gardaí uncovered the rest of the fragmented remains shortly before lunch.Deputy State pathologist Michael Curtis carried out a postmortem after he visited the area of the discovery on Wednesday. A forensic anthropologist also examined the scene.Further Garda technical examinations uncovered clothing and personal items including a mobile phone and an identity card.Gardaí say that they are continuing with their investigation but are now following a definite line of inquiry. Newcastle West Gardaí move Linkedin Shannondoc operating but only by appointmentlast_img read more

St Michaels in FAI Junior cup action

first_imgKick-off for that game is at 2 o’clock today and Jason Purcell’s team will have the advantage of a home draw. Jason says he is hoping they can turn around their recent run of bad form: https://soundcloud.com/tippfmradio/st-michaels-manager-jason-purcelllast_img